Syntec’s patented CardEasy system lets your customers enter their card numbers using the touchtone keypad of their own phone, mid-call in conversation with the agent or using customer self-service autopay (IVR). This technology is called ‘DTMF masking’ as the dual tone multi frequency tones are suppressed so as not to be fully audible or visible.
This de-scopes your call center and call recordings from PCI DSS, reducing the risk and costs associated with managing card payments in your contact center, whilst improving customer trust, call handling times and lost transaction rates.
Watch our demo to see how CardEasy works.
CardEasy enables you to comply fully with PCI DSS as follows:
- Your agents will not be exposed to callers’ sensitive card numbers
- Card numbers will not be stored in your call recordings or captured in screen recordings
- As the sensitive card numbers do not enter your contact center or network, this de-scopes this environment almost completely from PCI DSS regulations and audit requirements
Your agents can talk to the caller throughout to control the call and transaction
CardEasy also offers a customer self-service autopay option (IVR) for when no agent assistance is required, such as balances payable, utility bills, charity donations and subscriptions
- CardEasy helps GDPR compliance by avoiding capture and storage of the card data
Note on ‘pause and resume’ (‘stop/start’) solutions for call recording: these cut the call recording at the point at which the agent asks for the card numbers, but this can still leave the agent exposed to them and the contact center environment and agents still in scope of PCI DSS regulations and open to the risk of fraud.
How does CardEasy work?
- A caller wishes to pay by card over the phone
- The contact center agent initiates a request for card authorization in mid-conversation with the caller
- The caller is prompted to enter their card number via their telephone keypad (DTMF/ dual tone multi frequency touchtones, which are masked)
- Audio from the agent to the caller remains open throughout
- Audio from the caller to the agent is cut briefly while they enter the middle six digits of their long card number (PAN) and CV2 on their phone keypad, to ensure that the agent (and call recording) cannot be exposed to the card numbers even if the caller reads out the numbers whilst entering them
- The complete call can be recorded as the sensitive DTMF tones are masked from the recording as well
- The agent is alerted via their screen when payment has been authorized
- Tokenisation, BIN look-up, recurring and multiple payments and multiple currencies are all supported.
Taking payment using CardEasy
CardEasy live video demo
Using CardEasy saves you time and money by taking your call center operations out of scope from PCI DSS controls, whilst removing the need for time consuming oversight and PCI audits. Set up costs are low and ongoing managed service costs are ‘per agent’ or ‘per channel’ depending on your organization’s requirements, so can be linked directly with your channel/agent utilisation.
Automatic speech recognition (ASR)
Merchants are sensitive to the need for callers to be able to make payment by whichever means preferable or comfortable for the customer, even if they may have a disability which makes use of their phone handset difficult for DTMF touchtone entry of their payment card numbers.
To cater for this small but important minority of users, Syntec offers an automatic speech recognition option with CardEasy, so that everyone can use the service to make payments, whilst maintaining PCI DSS compliance at all times. This service is used by a number of Syntec clients including a major financial group who have been using it for a number of years.
CardEasy Speech Recognition keeps the caller on the line when they are invited by the agent or IVR system to speak their card numbers out (instead of entering them using their phone keypad as usual with CardEasy). Speech is muted however whilst this is in progress, so that the agent and call recordings cannot pick up the card numbers. The spoken numbers are converted to text to allow for verification by CardEasy and then transmission to the Payment Service Provider (PSP) for authorization.
Controls ensure that if the caller has any trouble whilst the call is muted whilst they read out their card numbers, then the call is reconnected with the agent to give further assistance. So when you de-scope your contact center with CardEasy, all your customers are catered for, even if they cannot use the more usual ‘keypad payment by phone’ technology.
Syntec is the managed service provider
CardEasy is Syntec’s proprietary and patented system. Syntec is a PCI DSS level 1 Visa Merchant Agent and Mastercard Service Provider and is a participating member organization of the global PCI Security Standards Council.